GOLF in Muskerry traces back to the late 1880’s but it wasn’t until 1907 that the current club was founded.
After just six weeks of work, the course designed and built by professional John McNamara was opened for play in May 1907.
Like many other clubs, proximity to a railway line was an essential prerequisite and the Coachford stop on the Muskerry tram line was close to the current 18th green.
The membership in Muskerry grew quickly and it was the quality of the course that attracted the growing membership.
The original course had five holes situated around the present front nine with another four holes across the road.
In fact anyone passing the entrance to Muskerry can still see where the old holes were situated.
Muskerry’s development to an 18 hole course came via the guidance of the famous Alister MacKenzie in 1925.